9.11.2011

One Decade Ago

I was sitting in Ms. Woodbury's class an hour before school started along with a childhood friend. (Yes, I consider 8th grade still to be childhood)

We were working on articles for the school newsletter and layouts for the yearbook.

All of a sudden, there was an announcement over the intercom from the Principal saying to turn to the news (the clock was on TV in the classrooms, so they were all normally on the same channel).

We quickly changed the channel and saw the smoke coming out of the North Tower. I must admit that being so young, I wasn't quite sure what exactly was going on, and I would learn very quickly what the impact would be.

A few minutes later, we witnessed the next tower hit... then during one of my classes... the first tower fell... and then the New York City skyline was changed forever.

I heard word of the Pentagon being hit as well. One of my mom's best friend's husbands was actually inside the building when it happened, however he was thankfully on the other side of the enormous place.

And of course, we cannot forget those who lost their lives on Flight 93 in Shanksville, PA.

I feel lucky that I was not personally affected by the tragedies on September 11, 2001.

But that doesn't mean I don't feel a deep sadness from all that happened.

Every 9/11, this wonderful country is reminded of a day where we have never been so proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts :)