1.24.2014

Review: Inferno (SPOILERS)

**If you haven't read the book and don't wish to know any plot, don't read any further!**

***Clearly, this post is coming months after I went to Italy but I felt was definitely worth sharing***

I was very excited when I heard that Dan Brown was going to have a newest installment of a Robert Langdon adventure. Two reasons for this: 1) love Robert Langdon 2) was disappointed in The Lost Symbol and wanted his story salvaged!


The coolest part was the timing because the book is set in Florence and Venice (along with a third main   location in Istanbul) and that's where Errol and I were headed! My roommate got me the book for my birthday, which arrived at my home just in time to be packed for travel. Throughout the plane ride and Rome and Greve days, I managed to finish in time to explore the book whilst in Florence and Venice!

Ceiling of the Hall of 500, where Vasari wrote "cerca trova" on one of the paintings. 
View of the Ponte Vecchio from the top floor of the Uffizi Gallery
Hall of 500: Unfortunately the room was not available to the public so we couldn't go down and search for "Cerca trova" 
Unassuming hallway containing Dante's mask
Supposed death mask of Dante Alighieri 

Hall of Geographical Maps, including the map of Armenia
Map of Armenia! You can see in the middle of the right side frame there's a small pin handle. 
We asked one of the staff if it opened, and she opened it for us! Going through is a separate paid tour. 

Baptistery of San Giovanni


Inside the Baptistery where the Dante's mask was found


The REAL Doors of Paradise are actually in a separate museum!


St. Mark's Basilica (Venice) was being cleaned, but you could still see the horses! 
The perfect timing of this book made the trip to Italy that much sweeter. And I'm lucky that I went with someone who was just as excited as I was! 

Overall, I felt that Inferno was a really great book that brings up some controversial topics in an entertaining way. It's highly unpredictable (or maybe I'm just bad at predicting things) and keeps you wanting more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts :)