1.23.2014

Bake-venture: Chocolate and Caramel Biscotti

I had the random inspiration to make biscotti this weekend. Baking is something that is unfamiliar to me - honestly sticking something in the oven and hoping it comes out right makes me nervous. At least on the stove, you can tend to it and give it attention and adjust as needed. I think the only way to get over this is to bake some things successfully.  I think I'm on my way! 

I used this recipe for my biscotti: http://jellytoastblog.com/2013/02/salted-caramel-chocolate-biscotti.html/

Ingredients: 
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 & 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
15 caramel candies, unwrapped and chopped small

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside (I used my Silpat!)

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together sugar, vanilla and eggs until white and creamy. 

In a separate bowl whisk together flours, baking soda and salt.
With the mixer on low, slowing add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
Fold in caramels and 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. 

Divide dough in half and form into two 12 inch logs on prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly so logs are about 3/4 inch high. 


Bake for 35 minutes, and take a peak because you've never see biscotti pre-sliced before!


Remove and allow to cool for 10 min. I picked off the caramel leakage on the sides and ate them. No shame in that.


With a sharp knife, slice each log. I used a serrated bread knife, just be careful not to damage the loaf too much. 


Lay biscotti down on the cut sides. 


Bake again for 10 minutes. Flip the biscotti over and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until biscotti are nicely dried. 

Voila! I believe they turned out really well. Ideally I would have melted chocolate, drizzled it over the biscotti, and sprinkled with sea salt to make them salted caramel biscotti. I tried twice to melt semisweet chocolate chips and both batches seized up, so I gave up. Another adventure for another time. I don't have much of sweet tooth, and these are not too sweet (but still sweet enough for everyone!). 


As a side note, I'm in love with my Silpat! Nothing stuck to it - even the caramel that seeped out of the biscotti loaves. 

Bakeventure a success! It lifted my confidence a bit, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts :)